Susan Van Hart
Student Labour DoulaServices Offered: Labor Support, Waterbirth Support
Location: Devon Alberta Canada
I was diagnosed with MS in 2011. My experience in the health care system proved to be invaluable when I became pregnant. I was shocked how many parallels there were between managing life in a body affected by MS and life in a pregnant body. Both circumstances forced me to juggle the risks and benefits of the choices I faced, build relationships with care providers, and absorb more information than I thought possible while coping with the emotional outcomes of everything I learned.
After birthing my son at home during the COVID 19 Pandemic, in a perfectly tepid pool of water, with my husband, midwife, and doula close by, I made it my goal to support other parents in birthing their way.
I became a student doula in 2021 and am currently working toward certification with CAPPA Academy.
As a Student Labour Doula, my goal is to empower families to:
- Make informed choices throughout pregnancy, labour and postpartum
- Exercise body sovereignty through the development of a birth preferences document
- Mark the special occasion of their child’s birth by facilitating ceremony’s, blessings, or rituals
- Discover local resources and childbirth/parenting communities and support groups
- Feel supported in the logistics of comfort and care
- Feel emotionally supported